Police say fatal shooting at Vancouver International Airport was gang-related


RICHMOND (NEWS 1130) — One man has been killed, and responding officers were fired upon in a brazen, daylight shooting at Vancouver International Airport that police say is related to the ongoing gang conflict in the Lower Mainland.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been called in, and provided an update Sunday evening.

Sgt. Frank Jang says the 28-year-old shooting victim was known to police. No arrests have been made, but he says investigators are looking for at least two suspects. Police are asking anyone with dashcam footage to contact the Richmond RCMP or IHIT.


The Richmond RCMP said when officers were called to the domestic departure terminal, they “intercepted the getaway vehicle” and were shot at by the suspects. No officers were hurt.

“This attack was targeted and carried out in broad daylight, with absolutely no regard for public safety, or anyone’s safety,” said Richmond RCMP Superintendent Will Ng.

“This incident is demonstrative of not just the careless mentality and blatant disregard for public safety of these individuals, but an attack against those sworn to protect our community,” he added. “This type of disregard and disdain for public safety at our international airport is at the next level.”

Police took the extraordinary step of closing all routes into and out of Richmond after being called to the domestic departures terminal.

The Queensborough, Knight, and Oak Street bridges, as well as the Massey Tunnel, were closed, and the airport was placed on lockdown while police tried to figure out how many shooters there were — and if the threat was ongoing — according to RCMP spokesperson Dawn Roberts.

“At that point, they were trying to determine whether or not we had a shooter or shooters, and whether or not we had any victims,” she explained.

Soon after the shooting, a vehicle was found burning in Surrey. At that point the RCMP had not officially made a link to the ongoing gang conflict.


NEWS 1130’s Ben Wilson said sirens went screaming to the scene around 3 p.m. Police tape went up shortly after, and RCMP helicopters were heard and seen circling overhead.

Video posted to social media showed one person on the pavement, and bullet casings nearby.

The airport has been reopened, and a statement from YVR says the situation has been “contained”

With files from Bethlehem Mariam and The Canadian Press

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today