City of Surrey launches tip line, $250,000 reward for extortion crime information
Posted September 15, 2025 7:41 am.
Last Updated September 15, 2025 1:00 pm.
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke announced a fund available to residents who provide information leading to convictions in cases of extortion affecting the city’s South Asian community.
Speaking at a media event with Surrey Police Service Chief Norm Lipinski Monday, Locke announced the $250,000 reward approved by city council on Sept. 10.
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO 1130 NEWSRADIO VANCOUVER LIVE!“A quarter of $1 million is on the table for information that helps put an end to this ongoing violence,” said Locke, describing it as one of the largest rewards in Canadian history.
Lipinski explained claiming the money will require the informant to identify themselves. He clarified that “up to” $250,000 is available to what he expects will be multiple people.
“There may be a number of people coming forward with different levels of important information, and so there will be an assessment of that information and then the money will be assigned accordingly,” Lipinski explained.
The SPS is currently investigating 44 extortion files, including 27 shooting incidents.
One of the most high-profile cases involves Kap’s Café on Scott Road — a business linked to Bollywood star Kapil Sharma. It was the target of multiple shots fired on both July 10 and Aug. 7.
Police previously told 1130 NewsRadio that “both [Kap’s Café] investigations remain active,” and no one has been arrested.
In June, the SPS formed a special investigative team focused on the extortion threats.
In July police arrested two suspects for careless discharge of a firearm and arson, in relation to incidents last year in Surrey.
Locke and Lipinski announced that a new Surrey extortion tip line will be monitored by police officers seven days per week between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
“Officers with different language skills will also be available as required,” Lipinski explained. The line will launch at noon Monday.
Locke’s announcements come just over a year from the next civic election period across B.C.
Former West Vancouver Police Chief, B.C. Solicitor General, and current Richmond City Coun. Kash Heed says the fund and potential reward are a positive step.
“Whatever we can do to increase the information coming forward, so law enforcement can do what they have to do — to not only put a stop to this, but, certainly, hold those people to account that are out there extorting the South Asian community,” said Heed.
While it may encourage people to report suspects, he says “there’s several more steps that have to be taken” to hold the criminals to account and make the South Asian community feel safe again.
He says even people that have already become victims have had trouble reporting the crime.
“For example, one individual that paid up to $3 million to the extortionist tried to report it to the RCMP on three different occasions, and at the end of it was told to submit their complaint online,” Heed said.
“And that is completely unacceptable when we’re dealing with the crime of this particular nature.”
—With files from Raynaldo Suarez