MAPLE RIDGE (NEWS 1130) – The mom of a child with autism who told NEWS 1130 about an incident where her son was restrained at his Maple Ridge school says there has been a development in their case.
Earlier this week, Judy Lee said that her son Kaden hasn’t attended Kanaka elementary since being restrained and isolated in July. She says he was lifted by teachers and moved to a small room after he refused to stop reading a book.
Now Lee’s been given the opportunity to speak to the school board on Dec. 12, but it hasn’t come without a fight.
RELATED: Boy with autism restrained and secluded at school: Maple Ridge mom
“According to their own bylaw, I am entitled to appeal their decision, but administrative staff has made it impossible,” she said. “The school board has finally approved my appeal where I would get to speak to the school board trustee.”
She says she’s been surprised the response from parents since she first told her story.
“So many parents have approached me, especially (Asian) parents who do not speak English as their first language,” she says. “This is happening to children all across B.C.”
The school district says restraint should only be used to reduce the risk of danger.