Lebanese PM, Cabinet resign in wake of Beirut explosion, protests

BEIRUT (NEWS 1130) – Lebanon’s prime minister and his Cabinet have resigned in the wake of last week’s deadly explosion in the capital.

The blast killed at least 160 people and left about 6,000 others hurt. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost their homes, while a number of people remain missing.

The tragedy sparked mass protests and renewed calls by the Lebanese people for reform in a government marred by corruption

In a brief televised speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said on Monday that he is taking “a step back” so he can stand with the people “and fight the battle for change alongside them.”

“I declare today the resignation of this government. May God protect Lebanon,” Diab said, repeating the last phrase three times.

The resignations came after a number of minister resigned in the wake of the explosion. Violent protests, which saw demonstrators clashing with armed forces who fired tear gas in some instances, erupted over the weekend as public fury grew.

The explosion at the Port of Beirut is believed to have been sparked by a fire that ignited thousands of tons of ammonium nitrate, which had been stored unsecured at a warehouse for several years.

Many have called the blast an example of Lebanon’s highest leaders’ negligence.

Diab blamed corrupt politicians who preceded him for the “earthquake” that has hit Lebanon.

“They (political class) should have been ashamed of themselves because their corruption is what has led to this disaster that had been hidden for seven years,” he added.

If a total seven ministers of the 20 Cabinet ministers resign, a new government must be formed.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today