Program for criminalized women survivors of gender-based violence gets $1M in funding
Posted June 25, 2019 6:09 pm.
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — Victims of gender-based violence are getting new government-funded support to find ways for them to get the help they need.
The Centre for Gender and Sexual Health Equity, a research centre at Providence Health Care along with UBC Youth Sexual Health Team, will be getting one million dollars to test and study a “survivor-centric and trauma-informed approach” that helps criminalized women survivors of gender-based violence.
The money is meant to help people that have been under-served, including Indigenous women, children, immigrants, refugees, women with disabilities and people in the LGBTQ community.
Vancouver Centre MP Hedy Fry made the announcement Wednesday on behalf of the federal minister for Women and Gender Equality, Maryam Monsef.
“This funding envelope was developed in partnership with leaders from the women’s sector, whose advice continues to inform Canada’s first Strategy to Prevent and Address Gender-Based Violence,” Monsef said in a release. “Gender-based violence must not be tolerated, and we will continue to work with survivors, community partners, the private sector and other orders of government to end GBV in all of its forms.”
Hedy Fry was appreciative of the funding.
“These funds will increase the capacity of eligible women’s organizations, Indigenous organizations that serve women and women’s groups to advance gender equality and provide essential services for women in need,” she said. “It’s crucial that we have institutions in B.C. that offer peer support, survivor-centric and trauma-informed approaches when helping cis and trans women survivors of gender-based violence.”
The funding is part of more than $50 million previously announced last year.