Keep the RCMP in Surrey campaigners launch court challenege of council ban
Posted December 15, 2021 10:27 am.
Last Updated December 15, 2021 11:26 am.
Some of the people banned from Surrey city council meetings for their outspoken opposition to the transition to a municipal police service are challenging the move in court.
In September Mayor Doug McCallum brought a motion, passed with the support of his slate, to prohibit seven people from attending in-person meetings.
At the time, the mayor said the move targeted individuals “who have repeatedly disrupted and verbally harassed council and city staff during public hearings” and was necessary to “protect council and city staff from harassment.” The mayor also said those barred from council chamber would be allowed to participate in meetings by submitting written questions ahead of time.
RELATED: Surrey mayor, supporters bar some residents from council meetings
On Wednesday, six members of the Keep the RCMP in Surrey campaign announced they will be challenging the move as unconstitutional. A petition, filed in B.C. Supreme Court also challenges a recent by-law change that expanded the definition of what constitutes a political sign, and limits what kinds of signs can be displayed on private property.
“Neither the resolution banning us, nor the amendments to the signage bylaw, serve a proper legislative purpose,” said Ivan Scott, leader of the Keep the RCMP in Surrey campaign. “They are intended to punish us for expressing opposition to the Mayor’s agenda. We see them as vindictive, undemocratic, and we’re asking the court to strike them down.”
RELATED: Surrey’s controversial sign bylaw change narrowly passes
Kevin Smith, one of the lawyers representing the group, says the two moves violated Canadians’ Charter right to freedom of reedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression.
“Everyone should have an interest in ensuring that government can’t suppress that kind of expression simply because it may be critical of them,” he said.
The first officers with the Surrey Police Service were deployed in late November. However, opponents of the transition have continued to be critical, saying the move is opposed by the majority of residents, lacks transparency, and is too expensive. Coun. Brenda Locke has announced she will run against McCallum for mayor in 2022, halting the police transition is the first plank in her platform.
Last week, McCallum was charged with public mischief after a special prosecutor was appointed to look into an incident from September where the mayor alleged an opponent of replacing the RCMP ran over his foot with their car. The charge prompted opponents on council, and pro-RCMP campaigners to call for McCallum to immediately resign.