Capacity limits lift in B.C. as COVID-19 measures ease
Posted February 17, 2022 6:55 am.
Last Updated February 17, 2022 7:01 am.
Most capacity restrictions have lifted as part of B.C.’s move to ease COVID-19 public health measures.
Full capacity is once again allowed for things like organized gatherings, indoor seated events, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs across the province, though some rules remain.
The order on capacity limits expired at 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, opening the door for businesses that have been hard-hit by restrictions to begin on the path back to normal.

As of Feb. 16 11:59 p.m., many capacity restrictions in B.C. lifted (Courtesy: B.C. government)
Masks will still be required in indoor public spaces and the B.C. Vaccine Card will also still be required in settings they previously were in.
However, the easing of measures means wedding guests can once again take to the dance floor and gyms, sporting events, dance, and swimming may return.
It also means restaurants, bars, and nightclubs will no longer have to enforce table limit rules, and guests will once again be allowed to mingle and dance. Again, patrons will still be required to mask up, even while dancing, and show proof of vaccination.
“It gives people comfort when they go out into social settings, particularly seated events, that people that are around them have taken the same measures to protect themselves,” Premier John Horgan previously said of vaccine passports.
“British Columbians have been comfortable to be outliers on a number of fronts, and we’ve done so because we want to ensure that the sacrifices that people have made over the past two years are not in vain.”
Restrictions remain at long-term care and seniors’ assisted living facilities, as they do for around capacity limits for worship services.
Related articles:
-
B.C. lifting capacity restrictions for weddings, gyms, nightclubs
-
B.C. event industry hoping for best, bracing for worst as COVID-19 restrictions ease
School and child care guidelines are also remaining in place, as are restrictions on child and youth overnight camps and some events.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has said the province will review those measures by March 15 and provide an update. They will again be revisited on April 12.

B.C. will review these COVID-19 measures in March and April, according to the province. (Courtesy: B.C. government)