ICBC warns of fake rebate text messages
Posted March 27, 2022 4:11 pm.
Last Updated March 27, 2022 4:12 pm.
ICBC is warning B.C. drivers if you get a text regarding a one-time relief rebate announced last week, don’t open the link and delete the message.
In a tweet, ICBC said customers have been receiving these text messages, but the insurance company emphasizes, “We will not issue any rebates via text or email.”
We are aware some customers have received text messages regarding their ICBC relief rebate. These messages are fake – we will not issue any rebates via text message or email. Please delete these messages. Info on how your rebate will be issued to you here: https://t.co/nKTGr7OtE5
— ICBC (@icbc) March 27, 2022
According to the ICBC website, customers who’ve signed up for direct deposit with ICBC will receive their rebate in their bank account starting in May. Other ways to receive the rebate will be through a credit card payment. People can also receive this as a cheque, depending on the payment plan they have chosen.
Regardless of the method you choose to receive the rebate, a confirmation letter will be sent to you — not a text, email, or phone call.
Related Article: B.C. premier announces ICBC rebate to offset record-breaking gas prices
This one-time rebate to drivers is meant to help offset the soaring cost of gas due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Premier John Horgan said the public auto insurer is in a robust financial position and can cover the $110 rebate for drivers with a basic policy and $165 for commercial drivers.
The rebates will cost a total of $395-million.
Horgan said the one-time payment is a better approach than cutting fuel taxes because the price will only increase again at the pumps.