B.C. COVID-19 numbers spike but BCCDC says ‘there isn’t cause for concern’

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration 1:59
Loaded: 0.00%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 1:59
 
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • en (Main), selected

    Poilievre promises to meet demands made by 14 largest oil & gas companies in Canada

    UP NEXT:

    The number of people getting COVID-19 in B.C. has more than tripled in the last month. While the BCCDC says there’s a tough respiratory season ahead, the chief medical officer tells Sarah Chew “there isn’t a cause for concern at this time.”

    By Cole Schisler and The Canadian Press

    B.C. is seeing an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases, with infections, test positivity, and hospitalizations all up in recent weeks.

    The latest data from the BC Centre for Disease Control shows 447 people tested positive in tests funded by the province’s medical services plan in the week ending Sept. 2. That’s more than triple the 133 cases in the week ending Aug. 12.

    In the same period, positivity doubled to about 18 per cent, the agency says.

    The official case statistics only reflect lab-confirmed PCR tests.


    Related articles: 


    As of Sept. 7, there were 241 people with COVID-19 in B.C. hospitals, compared to 76 people at the beginning of August.

    Despite all this, Jason Wong, chief medical officer with the BCCDC, says the various increases are relatively small, adding “there isn’t cause for concern at this time.”

    “The risk is low so we’re not seeing significant increases but we are seeing some increases in COVID-19 and respiratory infection activity,” he said.

    “We ought to continue to pay attention to it. I don’t think it is cause for alarm at this time but we do want to make sure people are taking steps and precautions to protect themselves and to protect the people around them.”


    Related video: New COVID-19 variant could be less contagious

    New COVID-19 variant could be less contagious
    Early research is generating some positive evidence about the newest strain of COVID-19. Find out why researchers believe BA.2.86 could provide less of a challenge compared to Omicron.
    Video Player is loading.
    Current Time 0:00
    Duration 0:49
    Loaded: 0%
    Stream Type LIVE
    Remaining Time 0:49
     
    1x
      • Chapters
      • descriptions off, selected
      • en (Main), selected

      Wong says he expects cases to continue rising in the fall. However, he notes British Columbians should be well protected by vaccines and previous infections.

      He also points out many of the cases reported now aren’t as severe as they once were.

      Meanwhile, the BCCDC says the number of deaths rose from eight in the first week of the reporting period to 15, then dipped to 12.

      The increase in COVID-19 numbers comes after the detection of Canada’s first known case of the BA. 2.86 variant last month in B.C., but the centre says that remains the province’s only known case of the new strain.

      Top Stories

      Top Stories

      Most Watched Today