2nd White Rock stabbing kills 1, IHIT called in

The suspect in a fatal stabbing in White Rock Tuesday night remains on the loose. As Kier Junos reports, police are investigating if the suspect is the same person responsible for a stabbing two days earlier in the same area.

The White Rock RCMP says one man is dead after an alleged stabbing near one of the city’s beaches Tuesday night.

Mounties said Wednesday morning officers were called just before 9:30 p.m. after they received reports of a man with stab wounds on Marine Drive, just east of Dolphin Street.


Police say despite life-saving measures from first responders, the man died at the scene.

“Police arrived on scene within minutes of the initial call and the Lower Mainland Integrated Police Dog Service also responded, however the suspect was not located,” Const. Chantal Sears said in a statement.

Sears says the Lower Mainland’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has been called in.

On Wednesday morning, police tape was set up blocking off the entrance and exit to a parking lot, with RCMP cruisers on site.

The death comes just days after a random stabbing near the famous pier sent a man to hospital Sunday night.

The victim of that incidence of violence had only arrived in Canada two months prior.

CityNews spoke to a longtime White Rock resident Wednesday morning, who said he’s at a loss as to how to address the recent spate of violence in the city.

“I don’t know what you can do about it,” John, who’s lived in the seaside city since 1958, said. “People come down around six o’clock at night and stay until about 11 o’clock, gathered around the pier.”

“I don’t know what they can do about it — maybe close the pubs at 10 o’clock? They come down at night and party, and then people get hurt,” he added.

Another resident, Anna, shared that the recent violence is “very scary. … it’s very concerning.”

Police say the suspects in both Sunday and Tuesday night’s stabbings have similar descriptions.

In both instances, the man is described as being 5’11”, and was wearing a hat and grey hoodie at the time of the incident.

On Tuesday, he was last seen running north from the promenade towards Marine Drive.

“Given the apparent similarities between this incident and the one which occurred on Sunday evening, police are investigating to determine whether or not there is a conclusive link between the two events,” Sears said.

Staff Sgt. Rob Dixon says identifying the suspect is the top priority for police.

He adds, despite the pair of stabbings, the waterfront is safe and people do not need to change their behaviour.

“I would be walking with my family as per normal. I would allow my mother to walk as per normal in the area,” he said Wednesday.

“There will be an increased police presence in the area — the public will see police more. But seeing police more doesn’t mean it’s any more dangerous.”

Dixon says police increased patrols after the stabbing on Sunday, but adds after Tuesday night’s violence, there will be dedicated officers on the waterfront at all times.

With files from Raynaldo Suarez and Mike Lloyd

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today