Vancouver votes to freeze construction of new supportive housing

Posted February 27, 2025 8:51 pm.
Last Updated February 27, 2025 9:09 pm.
Vancouver city council has approved a plan to put a hold on any new supportive housing, it announced.
Proposed by Mayor Ken Sim and supported by most councillors, the plan says the focus will instead be on replacing existing stock and transitioning temporary modular housing into permanent homes.
B.C. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says he hopes councillors will change their minds.
“It’s disappointing because we need this type of housing for vulnerable people and we know supportive housing works,” Kahlon said.
“It’s a lifeline for people sleeping in parks and encampments and in front of businesses.
Sim argues that Vancouver has been shouldering more than its fair share of supportive housing for the region. He says that despite making up 25 per cent of the region’s population, Vancouver has 75 per cent of the area’s supportive housing.
“We’re doing a lot already, and we need the rest of the region to step up,” he said.
“When senior levels of government give us funds, we will definitely allocate those funds to refurbish crumbling stock.”
Councillors heard from more than 80 residents, many voicing concerns about the proposal, but the motion passed with six votes in favour.
Coun. Lisa Dominato was among three who voted against the plan, saying it would “likely exacerbate homelessness.”
She says the plan won’t compel other cities to step up and that it is still unclear which supportive housing projects would go ahead.
“There was no consultation with the non-profit housing sector providers, and the narrow scope of this motion, while I understand the intent of having exemptions, it’s actually stigmatizing,” she said.
Dominato is a member of Sim’s ABC party. Another councillor who voted against the plan, Rebecca Bligh, was ejected from the party earlier this month after speaking out against the housing plan.
A group of organizations in Chinatown says it supports parts of the plan.
“After 10 years we don’t feel safer, especially a lot of seniors, they don’t feel safe in the Downtown Eastside or Gastown or Chinatown,” said Chinatown BIA operations officer Syrus Lee.
“So we should look forward and set a new plan.”
Queenie Choo, the CEO of S.U.C.C.E.S.S., also says she is in favour of much of the plan.
“I think that certainly there is some validity on renovation and upgrading some of the less desirable buildings to get it fixed up,” she said.
Kahlon says he will be working to get the city to reconsider its decision, but he does agree with Sim on one point.
“All communities in Metro Vancouver should be doing a larger part to help address homelessness issues,” he said.
The city says the pause doesn’t apply to supportive housing meant for particular groups like seniors, women, families, youth again out of care, health-care-related housing, or “social housing with occasional supports.”
The plan says city staff will deliver a biannual report tracking regional progress on supportive housing development and homelessness, adding that the move will not affect in-progress projects, applications submitted within six months of the motion passing, or initiatives replacing existing units.
Data provided by BC Housing list 795 supportive housing units “underway” in Vancouver as of the end of September 2024, which covers “any project that is in the planning, proposal, or construction phase.”
With files from The Canadian Press.