TransLink boss talks about bringing in double-decker buses
Posted September 26, 2016 8:14 am.
This article is more than 5 years old.
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – They are used around other parts of the world and you may soon see something a little different at your local bus stop. The head of TransLink wants the transit authority to consider bringing in double-decker buses.
Kevin Desmond says it worked in his old stomping grounds around Seattle and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be up for consideration here. “Double-decker service is used for express service from the Everett region into Seattle with some benefit — I know customers like those.”
However, even Desmond admits the taller buses have their limitations, like not being able to go through the Massey Tunnel. “My sense is if we were to move to something like a double-decker service in the future, you would want to do them on longer distance express routes for the comfort that you’re not having to take people on and off in an urban setting.”
Desmond adds people who ride the double-deckers south of the border seem to like them. He also wants the transit authority to look at bringing in electric buses. “I think battery-powered buses, whether they are slow or fast-charged buses are increasingly coming online throughout the world in Asia, now in North America, where there may be opportunities.”
He says suppliers were testing an electric double-decker bus in Victoria just last week.