Wind storm knocks out power to thousands on Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – A wind storm knocked out the power to more than 53,000 BC Hydro customers on the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island Tuesday.

BC Hydro says the hardest-hit areas include Courtenay, Surrey, and Maple Ridge.

As of Tuesday afternoon, BC Hydro says there are still 36,000 customers without power in Courtenay, Port Hardy, Langley, and Surrey.

A wind warning was issued for much of the South Coast, with gusts up to 90 kilometres/hour expected in some parts. That warning has since been lifted.

The utility says downed trees and fallen branches have caused “extensive damage to the electrical system.”

“Additional damage and outages are expected until the wind subsides this afternoon,” BC Hydro says, adding all available crews will be working throughout the day to restore power to those affected.

This is the second major storm to impact BC Hydro’s system this fall. In October, a wicked storm cut the electricity to close to 200,000 customers.

Last week, BC Hydro released new numbers showing many British Columbians are well-stocked at home these days on material goods because of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, that same survey showed people were not prepared to weather a major outage if power were to go out because of a storm.

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Vancouver as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today