Canucks GM takes responsibility for reported $50,000 fine
Posted May 9, 2023 7:30 am.
Last Updated May 9, 2023 7:31 am.
The General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks says it’s on him that the team was reportedly fined tens of thousands of dollars for breaking off-season training rules.
Some players were on the ice last month after the 2022-23 regular season wrapped up, according to Rick Dhaliwal of CHEK News.
VAN fined by the NHL https://t.co/zAU9AAbcyf
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 8, 2023
“I was surprised by it,” admitted General Manager Patrik Allvin. “We had several players that were in discussions for the World [Hockey] Championship. We had players going through their rehab, sticking around in Vancouver and we had some young players that couldn’t go down to Abbotsford. They asked for extra help and we wanted to help the players and [I’m] very surprised by the fine.”
Download the #Canucks Central podcast with @danriccio_ and @SatiarShah!
Exclusive interview with #Canucks GM Patrik Allvin following the lottery
Live reaction to the entire draft lottery
Mock Draft of the top 12 picksDownload: https://t.co/cFzwsbQB4N
— Sportsnet 650 (@Sportsnet650) May 9, 2023
Allvin joined Sportsnet 650’s Canucks Central for an exclusive interview following Monday afternoon’s NHL Draft Lottery and was pushed on whether allowing the training to go ahead was an oversight.
“The younger players — we were asked by their agents if we can help them with different stuff. Like, I said we wanted to help the players out in the best way we could as an organization and this was surprising for us.”
Allvin adds helping players out was a voluntary move.
Related Articles:
-
Vancouver Canucks lose out on draft lottery, Blackhawks expected to select Bedard
-
Allvin, Tocchet expecting Vancouver Canucks to ‘change the narratives’ moving forward
-
Garland’s hat trick the final highlight in a tale of two seasons for Canucks
“I was in Switzerland and there were no coaches around. The conversation I had with several countries about players on our roster who could potentially play the World Championship, they wanted to stick around, so… at the end of the day it’s my responsibility as a general manager.”
Allvin says the fine doesn’t impact any of the plans the team has for players during the off-season. “This was a purpose of helping and supporting our players to get better.”
The World Hockey Championships run from May 12 to May 28. Canucks players representing Team Canada are Ethan Bear and Tyler Myers.
–With files from Sportsnet 650