Hold-and-secure lifted for some Metro Vancouver schools after reported threats
Posted February 4, 2026 2:23 pm.
Last Updated February 5, 2026 10:08 am.
Editor’s note: On Thursday morning, School District No. 43 posted that a new, separate hold-and-secure advisory had been implemented at two Tri-Cities schools: Centennial and Gleneagle Secondary. These were lifted later that morning. This is separate from the situations reported on Wednesday. Follow the updates on the most recent situation here.
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO 1130 NEWSRADIO VANCOUVER LIVE!It was a frightening day for some Metro Vancouver parents and students as police were called to a number of reported threats at multiple schools — including Centennial Secondary Coquitlam and Glenayre Elementary in Port Moody — Wednesday morning.
The RCMP says those threats, which resulted in those schools being put on hold-and-secure, have turned out to not to be credible, and measures have been lifted.
However, it isn’t clear whether the hold-and-secure measures have been lifted at all schools. We have reached out to police to clarify.
Police are now investigating.
They say the measures were put in place out of an abundance of caution to keep students, staff, and teachers safe.
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO 1130 NEWSRADIO VANCOUVER LIVE!Officers responded to the threats shortly after 12:25 p.m. and remain on scene.
“We quickly engaged with various partner agencies, including the Lower Mainland Integrated Police Dog Services,” said Insp. Veronica Fox.
“A hold-and-secure involves keeping students in their classrooms to allow staff and, in this case, the RCMP, ensure the school is safe,” assistant director Ken Hoff of School District No. 43 (Coquitlam) said in a written statement.
The district says that local businesses in the area also received similar threats.
Shortly before 2:25 p.m., the hold-and-secure measures were lifted.
“However, out of an abundance of caution, our officers continue to remain at the scene for now as these investigations are actively unfolding,” Fox added.



Later in the afternoon, the Coquitlam RCMP asked the public to stay away from the areas as the incident was currently still unfolding.
Initially, the RCMP said it was just Centennial Secondary School that was put on hold-and-secure. However, once police arrived at the scene, officers were notified that other schools in Coquitlam received phoned-in threats as well.
As a result, the RCMP moved ahead and put other schools on hold-and-secure measures, too. In total, eight schools were affected.
Fox says that police can not provide any further information on any potential suspects.
“At this time, the parties are unknown,” Fox said.
“We also don’t have linkages between all of the calls at this time. The investigation will be ongoing and hopefully identify any advantages and the parties responsible.”
Police in Port Moody say they are investigating whether a similar incident at an elementary school Wednesday afternoon is connected to the events in Coquitlam.
The Port Moody Police Department says it has lifted security measures at Glenayre Elementary School after a brief hold-and-secure in response to a reported threat.
“We are working with our partners at Coquitlam RCMP to determine if the incidents are connected,” said Const. Sam Zacharias.