B.C. transportation minister says Surrey-Langley SkyTrain expansion chugging along

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration 2:20
Loaded: 0.00%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 2:20
 
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • en (Main), selected

    Search for survivors continues four days after Myanmar quake

    UP NEXT:

    The province says the cost and timeline of the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain project is on track despite potential tariffs imposed by the U.S. Monika Gul reports.

    The province and TransLink say the development of the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain project is full steam ahead.

    B.C.’s Minister of Transportation, Mike Farnworth, was in Surrey Friday to announce the project reaching another milestone.

    Farnworth says the threat of U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports and additional fees and levies being imposed on certain building materials won’t stop the project.

    “We are mindful of what’s happening south of the border, but the reality is this project’s being built and is going ahead,” said Farnworth. “Contracts are already in place.”

    He says that’s been made possible by sourcing local materials.

    “The concrete, for example, the iron and steel that we use, that’s all produced here in Canada and British Columbia.”


    The province says significant construction is underway at future station sites Friday. Crews this year are focused on building foundations for roughly 200 guideway piers and columns.

    “The development of the pre-cast concrete facility in Surrey’s Campbell Heights and starting construction of Green Timbers and Langley City Centre stations is also planned in 2025,” said a government release Friday.

    In August last year, the B.C. government announced that the project would cost $2 billion more than originally estimated and take longer to build.

    Citing “significant market challenges in British Columbia, across Canada, and around the world,” the province says the project will now cost almost $6 billion.

    The SkyTrain expansion will extend the Expo Line 16 kilometres from King George Station in Surrey to 203 Street in the City of Langley, with eight stations and three transit exchanges.

    Approved in 2022, the extensions were originally set to be complete in 2028. As of the August update, the province says the “anticipated in-service date” is now set for “late 2029.”

    —With files from Michelle Meiklejohn

    Top Stories

    Top Stories

    Most Watched Today